Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Little Quail

Here's a sweet little thing... It's a tiny zither. From the info I've been able to find on them, they're often made of birch or ash (this one seems to be birch?), and they have several names throughout the world--board zither, kantele, lap harp, etc. This one is a simple little instrument with 15 strings (7 wrapped around to double up, and one single) and tuned to either G or C major. It hails from Belarus via Перепелочка (or Perepelochka), whose logos I've discovered I love. Perepelochka means "Little bird" or "little quail" in Russian, and is also the name of a traditional Russian folk song. (Sadly, the zither is not represented in the recording I linked, though it is a fun song.)

It'll be interesting to see what sorts of sounds I can get out of this little fella.

2 comments:

BeatricCaldwell said...

I'm glad to see it's intriguing and delighting in its new home.

Steph said...

Indeed it is--many thanks again!