Tuesday, September 22, 2009

New Ventures

Tif, Danielle, and I have started up a site called "Novel Props," wherein we will craft items from some of our favorite books.  A broad example of a novel prop would be the One Ring from Tolkien's books, though that one has been created and recreated, so I doubt any of us will bother tackling it. 

My first endeavor was a brooch from Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy.  It turned out in general as I'd envisioned it in my head, which is a good thing. 

Hopefully this will keep me crafting on a regular basis, as well as giving me an excuse to build a big nest of books and never emerge.

If you have suggestions for novel props, by all means, I would love to hear them!  I'm able to do basic jewelry, cold cast "metal,"  some woodworking, and a bit of needlecraft, so not too many small props should be entirely out of reach.  If I don't have the skill for it, I'll beg Tif for help, and learn something in the process.

No comments: