Thursday, January 31, 2008

Samosa Time

Tonight's kitchen adventure: Samosas, which are Indian pastries stuffed with curried potato and vegetables.

I admit I nicked the photo to the left from the nethers of the interwebs. By the time I thought about taking pictures of ours, they were pretty much gone. Next time I'll take pictures of the actual thing.

Over the past while, we've stocked up on some of the basics needed in Eastern cooking: Garam Masala, Hot Madras curry powder, regular yellow curry powder, fresh ginger, cardemom leaves--stuff like that. These are things that we don't use all that often, and will probably last us forever and a day. They're good to have around in case of a sudden hankering for Thai or Indian food.
I apologize for not having exact measurements on some of these things. I improvised a bit, and didn't measure some items in the filling.



For the shells:
  • Mix 1 & 1/2 cups flour with 1 tsp salt
  • Add 4 Tbs shortening, and cut together till crumbly.
  • Add 5 or 6 Tbs cold water, just enough to make a kneadable mass.
Get your hands into it, and knead it together for a few minutes until it becomes smooth. Set it aside in a covered bowl to "rest." God knows what tuckers pastry dough out so much, but it needs a lot of rest, apparently.

After tucking the pastry in for a nap, (quietly) start in on the filling.

You can do one of two things here. You can go whole hog, and boil a bunch of potatos and make real live lumpy mashed potatos, or you can do as I did, and mix up a pack of dehydrated mashed potatoes, mince another potato finely, and cook that up with the rest of the filling.

In a frying pan, put a little of your favorite oil down and add the following:
  • minced onion
  • minced potato (if you cheated like I did)
  • some grated or very finely chopped fresh ginger, or a few shakes of powdered stuff, I guess
Once the onions start to brown just a bit...

Add the mashed potatoes
some green peas
few shakes of Hot Madras Curry Powder
some Garam Masala
a bunch of plain yellow curry powder
salt

At this point, you can add some optional stuff, like chopped cashews, corn, or meat of some kind, if you'd like. I found these to be pretty substantial with just the vegetables, but do what you think would be yummy.

Mix it all together while heating it up. You should be able to taste test and see what you like here in terms of spices. I wasn't sure about the plain curry powder, but it turned out it needed more than I thought it would.

Take the filling off the heat, and set it aside.

Now, wake up the pastry, take a chunk of it, and begin rolling it out. You'll want a bowl or a large circular object (about 5-6 inches across) to cut out circles of pastry. Roll it out thinly, cut large circles and set them aside, making sure you flour so they don't stick together. Once you've used up all the dough, take a sharp knife and cut the circles in half, one at a time as you use them.

Take each half circle, dab some water around the lower edges, plop a decent blob of filling down in the middle, then fold the edges together and press well, so you have a little triangle with a rounded bottom. Wash, rinse, repeat until all the samosas are stuffed.

At this point, you can do one of two things. You can either deep fry the samosas, or you can bake them. Since deep frying is the traditional method, I tried it, but frankly, it was kind of terrifying in our little kitchen, and I don't think I'll do it that way again, even though they were delicious. I did find a recipe with baking directions, so that's what I'm posting.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, place the samosas on parchment paper on a pan, and pop them in the oven.

Once they're in, turn the oven down to 300, and let them bake for 45 minutes, or until they're golden brown.

You can dip them in chutney, or eat them plain, like we did.

YUM.

3 comments:

WomanNorth said...

Thanks so much for sharing your recipe. I gave it a go last night and it was a huge success.
I didn't know how big a package of dried potatoes was so I used about 2/3 of a cup in addition to mincing an average sized potato.
I altered your recipe a wee bit more, replacing the curry powders and garam masala seasonings with a huge spoonful of hot biryani curry paste, added two cooked and ground spicy italian sausages, 2/3 cup of cooked ground TVP, and some corn in addition to the peas, ginger, potatoes and onion.
The filling turned out wonderfully, but far too large a volume to fill the 18 samosa wrappers that the dough made. (How many samosas did you get out of the dough?)
Happily, I've now got left over filling in my freezer and ready for quick defrosting and more samosas!

Steph said...

Ha! Both of us have samosa filling waiting in our freezers! I ended up with too much filling as well.

I got about 16 samosas out of the dough. I think I might have gotten more if I'd used an actual rolling pin rather than a wine bottle!

WomanNorth said...

Wine bottles work wonderfully for rolling out dough.
I don't have a rolling pin either and no empty wine bottles on hand. I used a thermos!